Everyone knows just how important healthy eating and exercise are for maintaining a healthy body and mind; however, a lot of people don’t understand what proper nutrition entails. Plus, those with health problems or those at risk for certain health issues may have different needs than someone who doesn’t have certain risk factors. This is why turning to our physician to map out a proper nutrition plan may be helpful for achieving your health goals.
If you have children, you also want your little ones to grow up healthy and strong. Of course, this means making sure that they are eating a healthy, balanced diet. While some children seem to be naturally curious eaters who will try anything, we also know that it can be more challenging for families who have picky eaters. Fortunately, Dr. Stacy Hausmann can help you create a better nutrition plan for you and your family to help prevent childhood obesity and other medical conditions.
Good Nutrition is Fundamental
Instilling proper nutrition in children and young adults is crucial to physical and emotional health. A healthy, balanced diet can help the body and brain to develop properly, and it helps them maintain an ideal body weight. With the increase in childhood and adult obesity, it’s important to recognize the need for adequate nutrition practices in households. After all, diets that are high in sugar and salt, as well as processed foods, won’t just affect your and your child’s weight but will also increase the risk for a variety of chronic diseases including diabetes. In addition, to nutritional guidance, Dr. Hausmann can also teach you how to shop, cook and eat healthy for your whole family.
What are the Benefits of turning to us?
Nutritional guidance for children through adults
- Personalized nutrition assessment and guidance
- Delicious options for healthy recipes
- Practical strategies for helping patients achieve dietary changes
- Weight loss and weight management
- Culinary instruction and coaching which teaches you how to shop, cook and eat healthy.
- Learn how to cook healthy and delicious home cooked meals
- Empower and guide children and adults to make sustainable healthy culinary changes
- Helping you to set and achieve nutrition goals
- Helping you achieve optimal physical and emotional wellness
- Learn how to cook healthy foods which decrease your risk for cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes.
- Learn how to improve your nutrition and cook healthy and delicious meals with little time on a budget
- Learn new culinary techniques and how to overcome barriers to home cooking
Be Smart About Food Choices
It’s important to focus on a diet that helps nourish and provides you with all the vital nutrients needed to not just sustain you but also to help you thrive physically, mentally and emotionally.
Of course, a child’s diets will change as they continue to grow, and specific dietary needs and habits will be based on several factors that our doctor can happily discuss during your next wellness visit.
Dr. Hausmann can also help adults understand the role of nutrition in treating current conditions and preventing additional conditions. Often both adults and children do not realize how important healthy eating is.
Some simple steps you can take to improve your nutrition include:
- Nixing sugar from your diet: Sugar doesn’t just cause our bodies to store more fat, it can also be responsible for everything from acne to diabetes. Since sugar is often found in processed foods it’s important that you avoid processed foods as much as possible and to check all food labels when grocery shopping (you may be surprised by how much hidden sugar is in your everyday diet).
- Getting more fiber: Most people are not getting enough fiber, and fiber is important for everything from maintaining a healthy digestive tract to stabilizing blood sugar and lowering cholesterol. An easy way to get more fiber into your diet without resorting to powders or supplements is to make sure that every meal you eat is about 75 percent vegetables.
If you are concerned about you or your child’s health or weight, if you are having trouble getting your child to eat healthier whole foods, or you notice that your child or teen is having trouble focusing in school, then it may be time to map out a customized plan with our doctor. Our goal is to make sure that your child is getting the vitamins and nutrients they need for a healthy body and mind, as well as to protect them against obesity-related diseases. Our goal is also to empower children and adults to choose healthier foods, help you achieve your nutrition goals and help you prevent lifestyle related diseases. We help you achieve this by obtaining individualized and personalized nutrition assessments and by creating a personalized nutrition prescription to help you optimize your health.
Of course, it’s important to discuss any dietary changes with your doctor beforehand. Your doctor can help guide you through these nutritional changes to ensure that you are getting the nutrients you need and taking the proper supplements to prevent deficiencies and other potential issues. Dr. Hausmann is here to help you improve your nutrition by empowering and guiding you on how to cook healthy and delicious home cooked meals.
If you are concerned about you or your child’s diet, know that you can turn to Dr. Hausmann here in Valley Stream, NY. To schedule an appointment please call North Woodmere Medical Care at (516) 791-9010. We see patients from the Five Towns (Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Lawrence, Hewlett, and Inwood), Far Rockaway, and other communities.