Most people assume that health and wellness are the same things; however, while they may be similar, it’s important to distinguish between the two. The goal of our team at North Woodmere Medical Care is to help you promote both good health and wellness. It is Dr. Stacy Hausmann’s mission at her practice in Valley Stream, NY, to promote healthy living and prevent disease by providing mental health, nutrition, health and wellness, and obesity and weight management to children through adults. Dr. Hausmann provides health and wellness counseling and personalized assessments and plans for both children and adults to help optimize their physical and emotional wellness.
When we talk about health, we are talking about your overall state of wellbeing. This means physical, mental, emotional, and social. When we talk about wellness, we are referring to your quality of life or the active state of living in good health. There are several components to wellness, including environmental, occupational, and social, and all these aspects play a significant role in your overall health.
Health vs. Wellness
Okay, let’s dive a little deeper into the difference between health and wellness. Let’s provide a helpful example: health is recognizing that you have a predisposition for diabetes (perhaps you have immediate family members with diabetes) and that you’ve been diagnosed with asthma.
Wellness, on the other hand, refers to choosing to eat a healthier diet, getting regular exercise, and visiting your doctor for routine checkups to reduce your risk for diabetes and other diseases. Quite simply, health is the presence or absence of disease and disorders, and wellness refers to the simple changes you can make to improve your overall health and wellbeing. Dr. Hausmann strongly believes in the importance of wellbeing in each patient’s everyday lives.
Improving Your Wellness
No matter whether you have a family history of specific chronic health problems, would like to improve your health and wellness, or you are concerned about being overweight; we can help. With our assistance, you’ll improve your health and wellness and meet personal goals to help you:
- Live a healthier lifestyle and achieve a better quality of life
- Improve your nutrition
- Shop, cook and eat healthy
- Lose Weight
- Develop a regular and consistent exercise routine
- Develop strategies to manage stress, build emotional resiliency and improve your mental health
- Develop skills to avoid risk substances (tobacco, alcohol and other drugs)
- Learn the importance of and skills to maintain healthy social relationships
- Learn techniques to improve quality and quantity of sleep without the need for medication
Dr. Hausmann works together as a team with each patient to create a personalized wellness plan that can empower her patients to replace unhealthy lifestyle behaviors with sustainable healthy behaviors. Other ways in which you can significantly enhance your current health and wellness include:
- Eating unprocessed and whole foods. A diet rich in whole grains, vegetables and fruits, plant-based proteins, and healthy fats is key to maintaining a healthy weight and reducing your risk for specific health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Get regular exercise. This doesn’t mean you have to rush out and get a gym membership. Even a brisk walk around the neighborhood every day for at least 30 minutes can help you reach your weekly 150 minutes of aerobic activity. Find gym classes or apps that help you get moving throughout the day and keep you motivated to break a sweat.
- Get better sleep. Most Americans are not getting enough sleep. Thanks to technology, we are now powering down too late and not getting the shuteye we need to stay healthy. If you are having trouble getting good sleep, Dr. Hausmann can help you create better sleep habits.
If you are looking for a doctor that can provide you with optimal care for better health and wellness, then turn to Dr. Stacy Hausmann and her team at North Woodmere Medical Care in Valley Stream, NY, by calling (516) 791-9010. Dr. Stacy Hausmann believes in two goals for her medical practice. She believes in providing quality immediate and after-hours care for children and young adults. She also believes in promoting a healthy life through mental health, nutrition, weight management and lifestyle changes. We see patients from the Five Towns (Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Lawrence, Hewlett, and Inwood), Far Rockaway, and other communities.